Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Arrivederci Arizona!


A few weeks ago we had an incredible surprise that I haven't shared with anyone because I was afraid it would jinx us.


This year Michele's parents decided enough was enough, they wanted to see their grandchildren. Because they are no longer able to travel they realized the only way to do so was to bring the "mountain to Mohammed". Without a word to anyone they took the money they had been saving for the last two years and sent us tickets. At first I refused the idea because I have an incredible fear of taking Max out of what I consider my “comfort zone”. What if something happened and Max needed a doctor? Michele quickly reminded me that Max’s godmother is a pediatrician doing research on rare genetic disorders at a large medical center for children. I guess I had to strike that concern from my list. As I continued down my list I realized I really didn’t have any valid concerns or at least none I could use to keep us home. In the end I decided it would be stupid to pass up a free trip to Europe and began to pack our bags. 


So here I sit in my in-laws' living room updating the blog. The whole thing still feels odd, a bit like returning to the past. Michele and I decided this morning that in the last ten years absolutely nothing has changed here, time seems to have stood still. Of course it's all new for Max so it's interesting to watch his reaction to it all. In fact, he told us that the best part about this trip was flying in an airplane that wasn't going to one hospital or another for one surgery or another. It seems rather sad for an eight year to come to this realization on his own. 


The kids have been adjusting well to the time change but then Ellie never has a problem with sleeping and Max just doesn't sleep at all so it all works out in the end....sort of. The kids are enjoying the pasta, pizza, and ice cream while Michele and I concentrate on the wine. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!


Be sure to stay tuned for more news on "Max Conquers Europe"!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds like it will be a fabulous Christmas this year. Enjoy!

Vicki said...

How exciting for you! Have a wonderful visit & tell your lovely mother & father-in-law hello from the "bella bambino's" grandma. Have some vino for me... I'm so happy for you!