Sunday, May 30, 2010

Angry

I thought long and hard about whether or not to write this post but emotions have gotten the better of me.....so here goes. The following is a post I found on my Facebook page:

Finally had the amnio this past Friday. Now I am on pins and needles for the phone call on Tuesday or Wednesday letting me know the results. It's week 17, this baby has to be defect free!

Surely, she doesn't mean that children like my son are defective?! After all, I found out about Max's cardiac condition at 20 weeks in utero and his intestinal problems not much after that. I don't know why this post angers me so much but in my world (and in the world of many "special" moms I know) no child is "defective". I find it utterly insulting and infuriating that a "mother" (I'm using the term loosely because I am not convinced that this person could ever be a mother) would think this let alone write it in such a public forum. Our children have enough to deal with in this world adding other people's ignorance is absolutely unnecessary!

OK, I'm stepping down off my soap-box now. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone tonight but I really needed some "blog therapy".

2 comments:

Chris A said...

AMEN Patricia!

~ Chris A ~

Anonymous said...

i don't understand how a mother can be so insensitive and i am a mum of three all with special needs thankfully two are very minor (just Speech problems) the third born with a congentital heart defect ( a transposition of the greater ateries)