Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy 9th Birthday Max!

Max celebrated his 9th birthday yesterday and although it may be a day late we want to wish him a great, big, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

We were out of town for the big day doing the touristy thing with our in-laws and even though Max was very excited to show his aunt and uncle Arizona he was also very excited to move things along so as to get to his birthday dinner (this kid has his own set of priorities). I felt like we were on a bad bus tour all weekend with Max hurrying us up. By yesterday afternoon he was ready to bust if someone didn't get him a plate of sushi and fast. I'm happy to report he made it to dinner where he probably ate more than the rest of us put together.

Without a doubt the most touching moment of the day was when the hostess brought us to a table at Max's favorite Chinese buffet and who was sitting at the next table? The NICU nurse who was in the delivery room with us nine years ago! Sandra is a lovely woman who took such wonderful care of Max those first six weeks before his "graduation" to the PICU. She is the type of nurse who loves what she does, the babies she cares for and their parents too. I learned so much from her those few weeks, she brought us her nursing text books so we could learn as much as possible about what we faced with Max. She went through some of Max's roughest days with us and whenever I told her I couldn't "do this" she always told me in her very gentle manner that not only could I do it but that I would excel at things I never dreamt of being capable of doing.

Many years later as I look back on the many broviac dressing changes, TPN preparation, IV meds administered, g-tube feeds, etc., etc. I have preformed and I know Sandra was right, my son needed me and I would naturally rise to the occasion. I just didn't know "the occasion" would be nine years long with progress made but no end in sight!

I think it very fitting to not only wish Max a happy birthday but also to thank the many, many nurses, doctors, and other caregivers who took, and still take, such good care of all of us and have been such a big part of the gift we call our son. Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts!


Is there anyone this kid won't talk to ?

Max explaining to his father that ostriches bite, obviously after learning this first hand!

Mom, get these off of me!

A bird in the hand is worth two in the hand.....maybe.....

3 comments:

Chris A said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Max.

Your smile lights up the world!

with Hope,
~ Chris A ~

Vicki said...

I'm late, but give Max a big happy birthday hug from me! Loved hearing about his special day, what a nice surprise to see the NICU nurse. The pics were fun. Was that at the ostrich ranch on I-10?

Ann said...

Happy B-lated Birthday Max!