Thursday, May 19, 2011

Unexcused Absence

I’ve been very quiet lately for several reasons, the first and more difficult reason is that I really haven’t known what I could write about and not seem like a candidate for a mental institution. I find myself in a “funk” that’s difficult to explain or escape. I vacillate between anger and tears and I never really know what will set me off. You know it’s bad when you cry while listening to the baseball scores on Sports Center, even when your team wins! It has always bothered me when I get like this because I am still sane enough to realize that negativity is just a waste of time and God knows we don’t really have time to waste.

The second reason that I’ve been “out of blog commission” is that we’ve been running around trying to give Max as many opportunities for fun before his “stinky summer” (his words) begins as possible. On this front we have been very, very successful! It seems like it’s been one wonderful event after the other. On Saturday Max helped his flag football team win its championship game, even quarterbacking a touch down!

On Tuesday evening Max was the special guest of Willie Bloomquist of the AZ Diamondbacks. You would have thought that Max died and went to heaven. In fact to quote him as he walked into the team locker room, “You guys REALLY live in paradise!” I don’t think I can say enough about how Willie and his teammates treated Max to the “night of his life”. Willie was so very kind and gracious to all of us, he was an absolute natural with Max and kept up with his myriad of questions, recitation of baseball stats, and all around general goofiness. It’s nice to know that there are professional athletes out there who aren’t all about ego and paychecks.

Although all of these activities have been blessings it has been bittersweet because we see Max slowing down and fatiguing more easily, all medical signs that this surgery is so very necessary to save his quality of life. Uh oh, I may just have put myself back into my funk! Either way enjoy a few photos of Max’s most recent social events.



Max and Willie


Max, Chris Young, and Ryan Roberts

2011 Champs!



QB Max

No comments: