Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Life in Hell Continues

Only now I mean this literally. Michele called me at the office yesterday afternoon to announce that our air conditioning was on the fritz; by “fritz” he meant to say that it had completely stopped working and it was inching towards 90 degrees in the house. Welcome to the fires of Hell! And while this would be considered a “code red” during anyone’s Arizona summer, the problem had a greater urgency for us as Max had woken up in the morning even sicker than he had been (that’s another story) with a fever of 102. By the time I got home to call contractors Max looked like he needed to be wrung out. I found him lying on the sofa under the ceiling fan as if someone had sucked the life right out of him.

As I started calling every air conditioning guy we have ever used (and believe me we’ve used plenty) I quickly became aware that I needed to pull out the big guns. Because no one was interested in coming out to the house for at least 24 hours I realized that it was time to play the “Max card”, so I began to give them, “But I have an ill child who could not possibly live in this heat for another day or two” story. Several phone calls later I found the guy we have often used when the AC goes out at some odd hour in the middle of the night (isn’t that the only time these things ever happen?) who promised he would come by as soon as he finished the job he was on. When he finally arrived and took a look at our dinosaur of an AC system he pronounced the motor dead. So several hundred bucks later we ascended the fires of Hell and the AC buzzed into action.

I believe this fiasco qualifies for the new motto I mentioned in Friday’s post, “It can get worse, but suck it up and just wait for the next disaster.” So nearly $2,000 in less than five days later I’m just sitting around waiting for our next disaster…..Michele get my straight jacket ready……

4 comments:

Ann said...

That sucks. $2000 would have made for a nice vacation somewhere. I hope your string of bad luck has come to an end.

Anonymous said...

Been there done that! I'm glad you got it fixed!
How is Max feeling now? Please tell him Gavin says hi!
kc

The Marangella Family said...

Hi Kristen -

I wanted to e-mail you back but I realized I don't have your e-mail address. Thanks for checking in, hope you're having a great start to your summer break, a big "hi" to Gavin from Max!

Vicki said...

So glad you got your ac fixed quickly, we faced that a couple of years ago, naturally when it was very hot, and had to replace the entire unit. This year we got to spend our vacation money repairing our septic system (we are in a county island and don't have city sewer)...so instead of the vacation back home that we had our toilets, sinks & showers! Ah well, such is life! Hope you're still cool and life is settling down!