Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Bittersweet Anniversary

Eight years ago today Max was a teeny tiny six week old facing his first open-heart surgery. The thing I most remember about that day (other than the crash cart that went flying into Max's room moments after he returned from the OR) is when his surgeon told me that had it been just five years earlier he would not have been able to perform this surgery on Max. Medical science had advanced enough in a few short years to save my son's life.....talk about putting things into perspective. This doctor will ALWAYS have my undying gratitude, respect, and love. For those of you who know me there are precious few doctors I will say this about.

Today I feel blessed. Blessed for the child I have been given as a gift from God and a nudge from a very special sugeon who although mortal has
some god-like qualities in my book.

1 comment:

christie said...

Good lord! What part of his body did he not have tubes attached to!