Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How lucky are we?

Today I found myself thinking about how lucky we are -- now I know there are people out there who look at us with pity because our son was born with severe medical issues. Heck, it would be dishonest of me to not admit that there are times when I feel sorry for us. As is typical of a mother of a chronic kiddo I mourn what should have been, some of my dreams for my son will never come to pass yet other dreams I never knew I'd have have come true. Max has defied all the odds we have ever been given by doctors and he continues to do so every single day. So when I or anyone else looks at our situation with sadness I think we're not seeing the "whole picture." These last seven plus years have been grueling, emotionally, physically, financially, logistically, etc., etc. but they have also been rewarding. Rewarding in many senses. I really think that parenting Max has taught us many things. I have often likened it to "parenting on steroids", everything is more intense but it is also clearer. When you parent a typical child it almost becomes mechanical, you don't have to agonize over very much, it comes naturally to a parent who loves their children and wants to nurture them. With a child like Max nothing is mechanical or rote, every day brings on some new challenge. You can't always trust your instincts -- is he really sick or is it just something as boring as a cold? Did you give him all his meds (luckily Max now keeps track of his own meds and will tell you if you screw up!)? Are you doing everything you should to maximize his medical outcome? The list of questions rattling around in your head grows longer and longer....but I have grown used to all of this and I have come to appreciate it for what it is. Its Max and his miracle, nowhere was it written that we would be so lucky and so blessed to have this son who teaches so many so much. And although I would take away Max's suffering in a heartbeat if I could I know we are all better people because of Max and the journey he has taken us on.

I also believe we are very, very lucky to have met all the people we have on this journey. People we would have never known if not for Max and his story. There have been so many who have become part of our lives, supported us, listened to us and above all else have given so much to us. These people are not friends, they are family, they are an integral part of the life we have weaved with Max. We don't always remember to thank them and recognize what they do for us but we hope they know we would not have made it this far without them.

Before I close tonight I want to give a quick update on Ayah (the little girl we met in Baltimore who had a liver transplant), I have spoken to her grandmother by phone and e-mail over the last few days and we are so excited to hear that she is doing really, really well. She is starting to wake up more and more and may even have her breathing tube out by now. These kids never cease to amaze me, they overcome so much with their wills of steel!

No comments: