Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sometimes "gifts" come in unusual packages!

Just when you think you know your kids, I mean really, really know your kids something happens to show you just how little you really understand about them. For a long time I thought I had my kids figured out, Ellie was my sensitive one who wouldn't know a clean closet if it fell on her, Max was my exuberant one with a will of steel. But that's it, they're just my kids, normal pain in the @#$ kids and I love them to bits (don't tell them, I'm keeping this a secret for the next time they tell me I'm the meanest mother in the universe and they don't like me...). But then every once in a while someone helps you see something in your child that you never noticed even though you live with them. For us this someone was the doctor who did Max's developmental testing two weeks ago (you might remember this testing from an earlier post). We had our appointment with this doctor yesterday to review Max's results and evidently we truly are living with a genius, well maybe not a genius but rather a "gifted" seven year old. Who would have thought the kid that one educator after another threw to the curb because they were intimidated by Max's history, somehow having a medical history makes you a moron in the eyes of some, is really above and beyond the very peers they all compared him to. Max will never run like the wind, hit a ball out of the park or be an Olympic star -- but none of this means that Max doesn't have a gift. His gift is one that comes from perseverance and determination to have his own best outcome. You go Max!

I must add that in light of the discovery that her brother is a brainiac (her words not mine) Ellie asked if she could be tested too. I said "sure right after you clean out your closet"....and there ended that discussion. You go Ellie!

1 comment:

Ann said...

I hope Max didn't get wind of the confirmation that he is in fact the genius he knows himself to be . . . could make life unbearable for you all :-)

That's great news Patricia. We all need great news every once in a while. Savor it for as long as you can. Hopefully, you'll get more great news in Baltimore in a few weeks.

xoxo,
Ann