Monday, January 12, 2009

From the mouths of babes

In the midst of one of our never-ending conversations today I realized something about my son. I realized that “Chatty Cathy”, while sometimes annoying because he just doesn’t stop to take a breath between questions and rarely has an inside voice, had some great insight on any number of topics. These topics range from the weighty to the mundane to the just plain wacky.

Why do some people hate other people enough to go to war? Can’t their mother just take away their TV, computer and Wii like I do when he and Ellie fight? I swear I’m not making this one up, evidently my son finds me scary enough to think that I should be able to bring peace to the Middle East by threatening all warring factions with the loss of their privileges. Does anyone have Hillary’s phone number? The State Department may need me…..

From war and international strife we moved on to the all important discussion of what’s for dinner, today, tomorrow and the day after that and so on. Food has always been a top priority for Max. I can remember at age three when we finally got Max off tube feeds and he was eating completely orally he would wake up every morning, open his eyes, and immediately ask what we were having for dinner. It was as if he was making up for lost time. So today when he asked me this question and I gave him my usual “I don’t know” Max walked away in disgust muttering to his father that “his wife” was never organized and never knew what she was doing. And while I know many parents would find this comment disrespectful all I could think was, “Boy, does this kid have me pegged or what?”

And finally, as I was putting him to bed tonight Max asked me what kind of monkey I would want to be if I were a monkey….is this the same child who earlier in the day suggested that I held the key to world peace? In less then 24 hours I went from diplomatic genius to primate. By the way it was decided that Max was a chimpanzee, Michele was a gorilla, I was an orangutan and poor Ellie is a baboon!

And on this note I close by saying good night all and have a great week! I need to go check if we have enough bananas for breakfast…….

No comments: