Friday, January 23, 2009

This is why I love my life……….

I don’t just get to care for my son I get to spend lots of quality time dealing with home health agencies too. What a glamorous and exciting life I lead!

This evening Max’s breathing was really starting to sound rough so Michele and I decided we needed to have some oxygen in the house “just in case”. Thus began the fun and games. My first call to the agency we use for some of Max’s supplies went very well (NOT!). The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello, I’m calling for my son Max Marangella. M-a-x-M-a-r-a-n-g-e-l-l-a. Max has RSV and we’d like to get an oxygen tank sent out to our home.

Operator: Is your son an existing client?

Me: Absolutely! We have other equipment from you….

Operator: Ma’am, Ma’am listen to me, we can’t bring out any equipment or supplies to an existing client after hours.

Me: You mean to tell me that because you have been supplying us for the last seven years my son is not entitled to oxygen until 8am Monday morning?

Operator: Yes.

Me: Let me see if I get this, new clients get to breathe; old clients are on their own?

Operator: Yes, we only deliver to patients being discharged from the hospital.

Me: Now there’s an idea, I could have the oxygen only if my son was leaving the one place I’m trying not to go…..the hospital!

Operator: You could try calling tomorrow, maybe someone will be here.

Me: Gee, thanks.

Having finished that call so successfully I decided to try home health agency number two, if for no other reason then to completely depress myself. As much as I love to malign these companies I have to say the young lady who answered the phone from who knows where (as opposed to my friend from the first phone call who was in Mesa and still unwilling to help me) was actually stellar. She took all of Max’s information, was very kind, and even asked how he was feeling (she actually cared how Max was and she’s just the after hours operator!). Long story short I just spoke to the respiratory tech and he’s on his way!

This is why I love my life………..

No comments: