Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sick Day

Max stayed home sick from school today. He was up most of the night coughing and talking in his sleep which for Max signals a high fever. In fact he was so agitated that on Michele’s watch Max sat up and screamed at him, “Go away you big bird!” He must have become even more febrile because when I checked on him an hour later he swiped at me so vigoursly I tripped over my own feet getting out of the range of fire. Anyway, I’m attributing this violent behavior to a fever, I hope it doesn’t reflect how Max feels about us…..I’d kind of like to wait for the teenage years before the physical and verbal abuse begins!

Today he stills sounds awful, in fact I told Michele to starting checking for Max’s cigarette stash because at the moment he sounds like he has a two-pack-a-day habit. Hopefully the fever will pass because I don’t think any of us would appreciate a trip to the pediatrician or worse yet pulmonology. I’ve called home to check on him a few times and although I would expect him to be lying around do nothing and feeling miserable I have been assured that this is not the case. During my last call as best I could tell Max was wrestling with the dog on the floor, watching TV, and playing Game boy all at the same time! At this point I had Michele pass the phone to him so I could instruct him to sit still for a while and work on his homework packet. This advice must have been very popular because as I finished talking I heard Max make a loud acoustical sound and then said, “This is Max, I’m not home right now please leave me a message after the beep and I’ll get back to as soon as possible…..BEEP!” Something tells me I shouldn’t hang around the phone waiting for his call………

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Hope Max feels better soon and I hope you can avoid having to see the dreaded pulmonologist. Be careful, the pulm might tell you it's his heart. :-)