Friday, June 17, 2011

Hopkins - Post-Op Day Ten

Ladies and gentlemen I am happy to report that the Marangella's have been kicked out of the PICU....and it wasn't my fault! Last night the attending doc came in to tell me that Max was officially "the least sick" child in the ICU and they needed his bed. The least sick? Less than 48 hours ago he was definitely in the top five!

This morning they packed us up and shoved us towards the elevators to send us down to the fourth floor. Private rooms, SCORE! Michele insists he heard the nurses cheering as the door swung close behind me. I decided not to take it personally until we got to the "floor" and our night nurse immediately remembered me as the mom who gave a resident hell during her very first week of residency for being insensitive and refusing to take what we as parents were telling her into consideration. Evidently this episode is a classic and recounted over and over again amongst the nurses. I'd like to think I taught this resident something because four years later she's Chief Resident at Hopkins, the number one hospital in America.

As for Mr. Max, he is doing so well that I don't want to jinx ourselves too much but I cannot believe how well he's hopping in and out of bed and chasing down the hallways now that he is no longer tethered to an IV pole. The physical therapist admitted that we might not need her after all! Now all we have to do is get Max's blood thinner values into "therapeutic range" and we might just be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay tuned....

5 comments:

Chris A said...

!!!! YIPEE !!!!!

with Love and Hope,
~ Chris A ~

Vicki said...

Good, good, good!

Cass Dawson said...

Love great news, looking forward to many, many more. Is there an address that I can send a card to him while he is staying at your wonderful time share? You can send that info to my e-mail if you would like or post it here so others can send one also. Congrats and will keep the love and prayers coming. Hugs to all, Cass

Michelle said...

Fantastic news! Way to go, Max!

Anonymous said...

Great news. We're very happy Max is doing so well! Now get some sleep in that private room at the Hilton
Love, Rhiannon, Garrett & co